Rape is an exceedingly difficult crime to defend against. It can come down to one person’s word against another in terms of what exactly happened, and if there are no witnesses, the female’s side is most likely to be taken. The penalties for rape in the state of Georgia are steep:
- A rape conviction is a felony conviction
- If the defendant takes their case to trial and is convicted of rape, the penalty can be the death penalty, life in prison without parole, or a statutory minimum of 25 years in prison with lifetime probation when paroled.
- You must register as a sex offender in the state of Georgia for life.
- You can face fines as well.
- If you choose to negotiate without a trial in a rape charge, you can receive a lighter sentence.
- If the defendant is under 21 years old and is convicted of statutory rape, the punishment is between one and 20 years in prison. If over 21 years old, the penalty is ten to 20 years in prison.
- A misdemeanor conviction can result if the victim is between 14 and 16 and the person convicted of statutory rape is 18 years old or younger and no more than four years older than the victim.
CHOOSE ASAP BAIL BONDS TODAY
ASAP Bail Bonds can help. We offer the best bail bond services in the greater Atlanta area, including in Gwinnett County, Walton County, Cobb County, and Barrow County. Our compassionate and understanding bail bondsman can explain the bail bond process to you or a loved one and get started right away.
The bail bond process is surprisingly easy, no matter the charges you are facing. Once you’ve been arrested and processed, you or a loved one call us. We’ll obtain a bit of information about your arrest, the jail you are being held at, and more. We can then get going on the paperwork. For a small percentage of your bail, you can get out of jail quickly, and as long as you show up to your court date, you owe us nothing more. For your convenience, you can now post bail online. We are always here to answer questions and to lend an ear. We are open 24/7 to accommodate your needs. In addition, we also offer a free warrant search service that can tell you right away if there’s a warrant out for your arrest. Return to your life right away, and start preparing your defense. Give us a call today; we can help.